When it comes to enterprise software solutions, selection is everything. It all comes down to the final system selection, but before that comes many other choices. From choosing your ERP project team, evaluating your software options, choosing a vendor, and everything in between. It’s a hassle, but it’s worth it. By taking your time to methodically evaluate all of your options and ticking off the check boxes along the way, you will end up with a solution that’s going to give you the best possible results. What is the best way to make the right ERP selection? By asking a lot of questions.
Here are 33 of the most important ones as you select your system, your vendor, and plan your ERP implementation project.
Defining your needs:
- What are your goals for the system? What challenges do you hope to overcome with it?
- What are the goals of other departments?
- Compile all of the goals, which are the most important for the overall success of the company?
- Is there a system out these that meets all of your top priorities?
- How much customization are you willing to deal with or pay for to get everything you need?
- What is the time frame for this project?
- What is the budget?
Evaluating your ERP vendor:
- What kind of support does your ERP vendor offer? Prices? Support plans?
- Does the vendor offer after hours support?
- What is their response time?
- Are they easy to get in touch with?
- Can you picture yourself working with them into the future?
- Has the vendor implemented in your industry segment? How many customers do they have similar to you?
- Does the vendor have experiencing implementing the same modules you will need?
- What is the vendor’s implementation plan?
- How long has the vendor been in business?
- Have you gotten references? Have you contacted them?
Evaluating ERP System options:
- Which ERP systems do your peers use?
- What will annual maintenance cost?
- What systems will the ERP system need to integrate with?
- Is cloud ERP something you want to look into?
- Is it future proof?
- Is the system tailored for your industry?
- How easy to use is this system? is it similar to other systems you use? Think of your end-user- will they be able to quickly adapt to this system?
- One time licensing fee or subscription pricing?
- Which modules will you actually use now? Which might you use in the future?
- Which features do you want to see during the demo?
Planning your internal process:
- Who will you choose to lead the implementation project?
- Which ERP implementation strategy are you going to use?
- How will you communicate with employees throughout this process to keep them in the loop?
- How will you increase adoption levels?
- What kind of training and support will your employees need?
- How will you measure the success of the system?
There and countless questions that needs to be asked during the ERP selection process and many factors to consider. This is in no way a comprehensive list, but by taking the above into consideration you will be on well on your way to an organized and successful ERP project.